“We’re not in the shipping business; we’re in the information business” -Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
Global supply chain management is what we do, but at the heart of Expeditors you will find professionalism, leadership, and a friendly environment, all of which foster an innovative, customer service-based approach to logistics.
Organic Growth – Expeditors promotes from within. As a shining example, our CEO started as an entry level employee in our San Francisco office 31 years ago.
- 15,000 trained professionals
- 250+ locations worldwide
- Fortune 500
- Globally unified systems
Scope of Position:
To lead and manage a Customs brokerage department within a branch so that the department has strong
technical expertise, flawless operational execution, strong infrastructure, strong and knowledgeable personnel, strong customs compliance, efficiency, profitability, and continual growth.
- Ensure smooth and timely customs process flow.
- Ensure accurate and timely client billing.
- Understand all the elements of the import and export customs DLSOP (Desk Level Standard
Operating Procedure) and correctly interpret this information to fulfill our customers’ instructions and expectations.
Ensure accurate and timely data entry into our operating system.
Transpose customs declaration information from documents, or other sources into the
customs entry system to allow for the build of a valid customs declaration.
Assist with verification of customs declaration information and the submission of such
to the customs authority.
Track and trace Customs files.
Interact with customs authorities to address any issues/questions that may arise during
the clearing process.
Attend any customs inspections or present documents to customs authorities when such
Act as the liaison between the customs authorities (or other government agencies
Ensure timely customs clearance of cargo to customer for Import and Export shipments.
Verify documents received for Import and Export customs purposes are compliant and
Interact with our customers in arranging their international shipments, meeting customer
Contribute to maintain strong relationships with customs officers.
- Ensure compliance at all times to regulations. This includes internal policies and
procedures such as Operational Process Standards (OPS) and external government regulations (eg. OEA) or customer policies / requirements.
- Understand department process flow, constantly looking for areas of improved
- Keep up to date on all regulatory requirements governing the import and export of goods. This includes but is not limited to customs procedures for imports and exports, other government
agency requirements i.e. health, agricultural, police and military, export controls and prohibited and restricted goods. Meet KPI standards, as per the company’s procedures.
Overseas communications, timely responses to emails and requests (internal and
Escalation of problems to Management when necessary
- Meets company standards of 52 hours training per year per employee.
- Attend training classes when required.
- Complete mandatory training when required.
- Adhere to the company’s 10 cultural attributes: Appearance, Attitude, Confidence, Curiosity, Excellence, Integrity, Pride, Resolute, Sense of Humor, and Visionary.
education and experience. Good knowledge of customs brokerage process and system essentialGood knowledge of customs legislation, especially with regards to classification, valuation
and origin. Understanding of ocean and air documentation process.Knowledge of air, road and ocean transport.Good knowledge of incotermsEffective interpersonal skills, including proven abilities to listen, comprehend,
effectively communicate clearly and concisely to obtain positive results.Pro-active, strong organizational skills.Good computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Hazardous Materials certification (preferred).
Fluent in English.
Expeditors offers excellent benefits
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- RRSP Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program