Expeditors is a leader in the international transportation industry and has opportunities for motivated team players who are looking for a challenging and rewarding place to work. Expeditors culture of organic growth and promotion from within, combined with a strong management team and unique compensation structure, continuously attracts the highest caliber employees.
By recruiting, motivating and retaining the best personnel in the business, we feel we will keep our leadership position in the marketplace. Our business is quality customer service and our people are what make that happen. We hire individuals based on attitude and train them for the skills it takes to make a successful career here. As part of their career development and overall job evaluation, our employees are required to take a minimum of 52 hours of training per year.
Scope of Position:
Ensure the proper and timely movement and clearance of freight, while providing an
exceptional customer service within the Customs Brokerage department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure smooth and timely customs process flow.
- Ensure accurate and timely client billing.
- Understand all the elements of the import and export customs DLSOP (Desk Level Standard Operating Procedure) and correctly interpret this information to fulfill
our customers’ instructions and expectations.
Ensure accurate and timely data entry into our operating system.
Transpose customs declaration information from documents, or other sources into the
customs entry system to allow for the build of a valid customs declaration.
Assist with verification of customs declaration information and the submission of such
to the customs authority.
Track and trace Customs files.
Interact with customs authorities to address any issues/questions that may arise during
the clearing process.
Attend any customs inspections or present documents to customs authorities when such
Act as the liaison between the customs authorities (or other government agencies
Ensure timely customs clearance of cargo to customer for Import and Export shipments.
Verify documents received for Import and Export customs purposes are compliant and
Interact with our customers in arranging their international shipments, meeting customer
Contribute to maintain strong relationships with customs officers.
- Ensure compliance at all times to regulations. This includes internal policies and
procedures such as Operational Process Standards (OPS) and external
government regulations (eg. OEA) or customer policies / requirements.
- Understand department process flow, constantly looking for areas of improved
- Keep up to date on all regulatory requirements governing the import and export of
goods. This includes but is not limited to customs procedures for imports and exports, other government agency requirements i.e. health, agricultural, police and military, export controls and prohibited and restricted goods.
- Meet KPI standards, as per the company’s procedures.
Overseas communications, timely responses to emails and requests (internal and
- 6 months to 1 year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Good knowledge of customs brokerage process and system essential
- Good knowledge of customs legislation, especially with regards to classification, valuation
- Understanding of ocean and air documentation process.
- Knowledge of air, road and ocean transport.
- Good knowledge of incoterms
- Effective interpersonal skills, including proven abilities to listen, comprehend,
effectively communicate clearly and concisely to obtain positive results.
- Pro-active, strong organizational skills.
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Materials certification (preferred).
- Paid Holiday, Holiday,
- Health Insurance
- Training and Education Program